PROFILE OF THE PROJECT AREA
Nambiyur is one among the 14 Blocks in the Erode district. The district is situated between 10°35'00"N to 11°58'00"N Latitude, and 76°05'00"E to 77°57'00"E Longitude. Erode district is bounded north and northwest by Karnataka State, Dharmapuri and Salem districts in the northeast, Namakkal and Karur districts in the east, Tiruppur district in the south, The Nilgiris and Coimbatore districts in the southwest. The district has an area of a bo u t 5714 sq.km.
The district has 1 Corporation, 4 Municipalities, 42 Town Panchayats, 14 Panchayat Unions/Blocks, 312 Village Panchayats and 4354 Habitations.
Erode district is in Cauveri River basin. Bhavani River flows in the northern part of the district from west to east. The river Cauveri flows in the eastern part of the district from north to south. Most of the streams are either tributaries of River Bhavani or Cauveri. Bhavani is the main tributary of the river Cauveri.
Physio-graphically the district can be divided into hilly and mountainous in the north, river valleys in the middle and east and the rest of the area covered by pediments and pediplain. General slope is from east to west and north to south. The height is ranging from 100 to 2400 meters above mean sea level.
Nambiyur Block is situated on the south western part of the district. Height in the block vary from 223 meters to 382 meters. General slope is from south to north. Most part is covered geomorphologically by structural hill and pediments. This region gets rainfall during north east monsoon period.
Procedure for Generation of Theme Layers:
- On screen interpretation of Satellite Image of IRS-LISS-IIIdata WGS84-TM
- On screen interpretation of SOI ToposheetsWGS84-TM
- Utilization of Existing maps
- Base Map Overlay
- Lithological Map Overlay
- Structural Map Overlay
- Geomorphic Map Overlay
- Hydrological Map Overlay
- Integration of Maps
- Incorporation of Hydro-geomorphic units
- Incorporation of Observation well data
- Evaluation of ground water prospects
- Identification of locations for recharge structures
- Map composition using GIS
- Generation of Ground Water Prospects Map
- Finalization of Suitable locations for Recharge Structures
The data products utilized for generation of the groundwater prospects mapping include;
- Geocoded IRS-P6 LISS-III/MX-4Standard S ate l l i te imagery on1:50,000scale, of February May period with scene specific enhancement.
- Survey of India (SOI) topographic maps on1:50,000scale.
- Existing Geological (GSI), Geo-morphological and Hydrogeological maps and information.
- Historical data of the Observation wells available with TWAD Board, State Departments and Central Ground Water Board (CGWB).
- Rainfall data from Indian Meteorological Department (IMD), GOI/Commissioner for Revenue Administration (CRA), Govt. of Tamil Nadu
- Hydro-geological Data collected from the field offices of TWAD Board during the field visits.
- Ground Water Prospects Map of Tamil Nadu on 1:50K map generated by Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), Dept. Of Space, Govt.of India.
When the Perumpallam Odai is developed as proposed above, the following benefits are being expected:
- Ground water is a dynamic phenomenon and it gets recharged naturally when there is rain fall in the area. This has to be augumented with suitable recharge structures so as to catch the rain water to the maximum.
- The Art of Living (AOL) under the able guidance of Shri Shri Ravi Shankar, Bangalore is rejuvenating the water bodies by developing the water sheds or catchments in various districts of Tamil Nadu.This project is planned to be executed as a part of the River Rejuvenation Programme (RRP) with the help of district officials of Erode Dist and the volunteers of AOL.
- Programme (RRP) with the help of district officials of Erode Dist and the volunteers of AOL. Simillar effort was carried out in Naganadhi watershed area in Vellore Dist and the execution was done using MGNEREGA programme. The success in those areas are phenomenal, and received many awards in state and national level in achieveing the groundwater development on sustainable basis, for the benefits of the farmers and rural poors.
- Considering various parameters in GIS environment on scientific basis, suitable locations of Recharge well sites and the boulder check dams are marked in the Blocks of Erode district. The total number of recharge well sites may be finalized for execution according to the field conditions and availability funds.